Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Patterns

Let's talk about knitting projects and patterns. (If you don't knit, think about your crafting hobby.) (If you don't have a creative hobby, what are you waiting for? run out and get one right now before your right brain atrophies!)

How do you decide what your next project will be and where do you get the pattern for it? Do you decide "hey, I want to knit a scarf for auntie Lyn" and then start looking for a pattern for a cool scarf that auntie Lyn would like? Or do you constantly peruse patterns and one day you see one for a gorgeous scarf that you simply must make and decide "hey, that would be a great gift for auntie Lyn"?

Where do you look for patterns? Do you have a huge stack that you've been collecting over the years? Do you run out to the bookstore? Check the latest magazines? Spend hours surfing the net for them?

I usually decide I want to make something for someone and then start looking for patterns. My problem is that I always try to vary the pattern. I find something I love, but it's done with a yarn I can't afford, so I use a different yarn. Or, I don't like the size, so I use a bigger/smaller needle and change it up. Sometimes I am successful, but then sometimes . . . well, you know.

Knit, craft, create and laugh today - you deserve it.

No comments: